In about 40 kms away of Chios town lays the beautiful village of Volissos. Is the biggest village among the north-western region of the island and one of the oldest.
The village is built in amphitheatrical style on a hill and on top of it there is a Byzantine castle built in the medieval times. The castle has a trapezoid shape with six circular towers. It was build there because of its location at the hill site and yet close to the sea thus the perfect place to watch over the Aegean Sea and protect the area for possible invaders.
What to see:
– The beautiful Volissos Castle right on the top of the hill where the village is build
– Moundon Monastery on the way to Diefha village
– Agio Galas cave and the church of Panayia Agiogalousena
– The aged Bakery selling traditional made bread and irresistible rusks
What to do:
– Walking the path Volissos – Malagiotis valley and back is an activity which will bring you closer to nature and you will be able to admire the rich flora of the area
– Swim at Magemena beach
– Enjoy ouzo and traditional mezedes on a seaside tavern at Limnia beach
Where to stay:
A photo tour of Volissos Village